My Blog List

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Meeting with my site supervisor


I met with my site supervisor, Mr. Eric Haugeberg, on June 21, 2011. I have worked with Mr. Haugeberg for several years during which time he has served as my immediate supervisor and mentor, so he knows me well professionally. I began the conference by asking if he had time to review the internship plan I provided to him. He said that he had reviewed my self-assessment and the internship plan. He expressed that he agreed with my self-assessment and thought the plan was comprehensive. He provided me with several resources designed to help me understand the demographics of the district better to include the Texas Title I Priority Schools (TTIPS) Snapshot information gathered about the district by an outside agency as part of the TTIPS grant the district recently was awarded. He felt this document would give me a lot of information that would help me understand the dynamics of the current district leadership team. I asked Mr. Haugeberg if he had any additional activities to suggest that I had failed to include in the plan. He felt that I included enough activities but encouraged me to focus on budget considerations as I accomplished each of the activities. Since I rated myself as “in need of improvement” in the area of budget, he suggested that I look for opportunities to make the connection between each activity and the impact the focus of each activity has on budget concerns. He also suggested that I consider the impact on stakeholders in each activity and that I concentrate on evidence of district goal setting and goal attainment in each activity. He stressed that superintendent preparations programs attempt to build this capacity in superintendent candidates and that the ability to set and accomplish goals and to include stakeholder input in decision making is key to success in district level leadership positions.

4 comments:

  1. Your meeting sounded very beneficial. I,too,need to focus in the area of budget and finance. Your reflections in that area were helpful to me as well. Sounds like you have everything lined out and ready to go. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this Kevin. During my short time in administration it does seem that a common theme among campus administrators is we need more professional development in the area of budgets. Sounds like your Supt. definitely had a lot of helpful comments (your last few sentences especially). Completely off topic, but it seems we might have some common reading interests. Have you read Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell (Seal Team 10)? If not, I'd suggest it, it's a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that your supervisor is all about the collaborative effort of a team to accomplish goals!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kevin-
    Looks like you had a real good interview. I appreciate you sharing the ideas/suggestion of your supervisor. Sounds like some great information. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete